Breast reconstruction plastic surgery for women
Breast reconstruction is an emotionally and physically rewarding procedure for any woman who has undergone a mastectomy and lost a breast due to cancer or other condition. Gaining a new breast will dramatically improve self-image and return self-confidence and life quality. Through surgery you can be given a relatively natural looking breast but be aware that a reconstructed breast will not feel nor look exactly the same as the breast that was removed.
Visible incision lines will always be present on the breast after breast reconstruction surgery or mastectomy. There are certain surgical techniques which will leave incision lines at the donor site which is commonly located in less exposed areas such as the back, buttocks or abdomen.
Sometimes, if only one breast is affected, after reconstruction the other breast may need some surgery to improve symmetry, size and position of the breast in comparison with the breast which has undergone mastectomy.
Is breast reconstruction right for me?
Breast reconstruction surgery is right for you if:
- You do not have any other medical conditions or illnesses that may impair healing
- You are able to cope well with your diagnosis and treatment
- Your outlook is positive and you have realistic goals
It is typical that breast reconstruction involves several procedures which are performed in multiple stages. The procedure can:
- Begin at the same time as the mastectomy (removal of the breast)
- The procedure of reconstruction of the breast can be delayed until you have healed from the mastectomy and you have recovered from any other treatments, for example cancer treatments
Cosmetic Clinic in Gauteng South Africa, has consultants who will answer all your questions and concerns regarding breast reconstructive surgery so book your free consultation today. We also have financing available for cosmetic or plastic surgery for clients who qualify.